Video problems (including Roku/Chromecast/etc)? Get in here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1151  Edited By Arjailer

I can't get any videos to play at all now on my laptop. Was working fine on Friday - today just get the spinning "buffering" screen forever.

Edit: No configuration changes or Windows updates on my end.

Edit: Seems to just be the Brave browser, other browsers are playing the videos fine. Guess I need to figure out which part of Brave to disable 😆

Edit: Gah! Brave was blocking auto-play by default. Move along, nothing to see here 😁

wishishi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos work fine untill i try to cast them with either my phone or the laptop to a chromecast. then they chop like a horror show.

abmtong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had an issue playing the live shows today (21/01/08: HotSpot, psuedo-UPF), where the videos would not play (they would show the red premium play button, and on-click, would flash a buffer wheel for a sec, then do nothing. Firefox + Chrome, Windows 10). The fix was that I was on Low video quality mode, switching to Auto/High made the video play. I want to say that I could see premium live content in the past (i.e. the past few mo.s) on Low.

Chick3nDinn3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just popping in to say I've been having Chromecast issues with some of the videos ( tried a UPF and Worst song videos most recently). The video casts perfectly fine for about 60 seconds, then the audio gets very choppy. The audio pops in and out about once per second and it never seems to resolve. I don't have issues if it is a youtube or twitch video just the native GB player.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Just popping in to say I've been having Chromecast issues with some of the videos ( tried a UPF and Worst song videos most recently). The video casts perfectly fine for about 60 seconds, then the audio gets very choppy. The audio pops in and out about once per second and it never seems to resolve. I don't have issues if it is a youtube or twitch video just the native GB player.

What model Chromecast are you using?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abmtong: I think the low setting on the live player has been bugged for a while. There's a ticket in for an engineer to look into it!

Chick3nDinn3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie:Looks like a 2nd Gen Chromecast to me.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chick3ndinn3r: @wishishi: Can you walk me through how you're getting videos to your Chromecast? I'm not seeing a cast button on my PC or my phone in the site video player? I have a Chromecast and can check on this if you let me know how you're actually casting.

Chick3nDinn3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1160  Edited By Chick3nDinn3r
No Caption Provided

@rorie: Chromecast button in the player as seen in the screenshot, or the Chromecast button in the Chrome extension bar, both work to cast for me, but result in the choppy audio. Also worth mentioning that I'm on OSX Mojave.

wishishi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chick3ndinn3r: @rorie: same problem. Older chromecast could be the problem for sure, since mine is like gen 2 or something aswell.

Windows.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

Chick3nDinn3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen:I don't have an android device but I do have a newer Chromecast I can test with and report back.

alpha_bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Hey Matt,

So a weird one has started cropping up in the past couple days, while I've been watching Going Rogue...

I've only used the HTML5 Auto setting with video, so unsure if other types will fix it or not, but curious if anyone's reported yet. I'll get a couple minutes into any one episode (from maybe Episode 11 forward so far), and the feed for the video will automatically cut out and start autoplay for the next episode. When I refresh, same issue repeats a few times, for an indeterminate amount of time, but same result: cut video feed, autoplay for next ep as if this one already ended.

Hope it's not a repeat bug, but starting to get a bit annoyed.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alpha_bit: There is another Bug Reporting thread on this! It's a known issue and a bug has been filed, might take a bit of time to figure out. Try downloading the file for now, sorry!

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1167  Edited By jasonefmonk

I’ve been having this issue for quite some time but I haven’t been able to understand it.

I cannot play Giant Bomb content on tvOS for Apple TV without the video dropping to 1 FPS while the audio playback continues normally. Replacing the hardware or software updates do not resolve this.

I’ve tried third-party apps on tvOS to stream via the API. I’ve done the same with apps on iOS/iPadOS and then streamed+AirPlay, or downloaded+AirPlay. I’ve downloaded the HD file from the site via Safari and tried AirPlay. After a few minutes of normal playback, I get the 1 FPS video which cannot be resolved thereafter.

I have no idea what’s going on but it has been a problem for me for at least a year.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the Giantbomb Roku app no longer work? I downloaded it but every time I try to open it just crashes

alpha_bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Thanks for the reply! I'll attempt to wait it out :) As always GB is the best.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1170  Edited By rorie

@ravensword said:

Does the Giantbomb Roku app no longer work? I downloaded it but every time I try to open it just crashes

It definitely should be still working? Are you using this link to load it? https://my.roku.com/add/2CJNDZ

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonefmonk said:

I’ve been having this issue for quite some time but I haven’t been able to understand it.

I cannot play Giant Bomb content on tvOS for Apple TV without the video dropping to 1 FPS while the audio playback continues normally. Replacing the hardware or software updates do not resolve this.

I’ve tried third-party apps on tvOS to stream via the API. I’ve done the same with apps on iOS/iPadOS and then streamed+AirPlay, or downloaded+AirPlay. I’ve downloaded the HD file from the site via Safari and tried AirPlay. After a few minutes of normal playback, I get the 1 FPS video which cannot be resolved thereafter.

I have no idea what’s going on but it has been a problem for me for at least a year.

I had this exact same problem with the video. Video would stutter or pause but the audio would continue as normal. It plagued me for several years as well. Never, figured it out. I was watching strictly on very capable PC with plenty of ram and decent video card via web browser(believe it was FireFox). Anyways, fast forward many years later and now I can't even get the videos to start playing! I hit the play button in middle of screen, it disappears, then nothing happens. For the last six months I had to use the "download" option and watch it in an entirely different window as it downloads. Twitch and youtube hosted live streams(and archives) seem to work fine.

Hmm, sorry about this. I'm not super familiar with tvOS but I'll see if someone can look into it. But I believe the video player is getting a company-wide overhaul at some point soon so video fixes might not happen until that rolls out.

jmvicke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos will no longer play in Firefox on my Windows PC. I can hit the big white play button, but then it just gives me a black window. No controls (window size, play/pause, etc) show up. Just black and it gives me the little hand mouse on the black window. Videos work fine in Edge on the same computer.

Happens on all videos.

IP address is 207.237.228.246

Sini_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Android 10 - Chrome 88 -No Extensions - Videos on site crashing, many times per vid on longer ones -

Mostly watching UPFs from 2013-14, but watching lastest content too.

Just fired up this weeks Bombcast on my phone (Android 10, Chrome 88) and set quality to HD instead of Auto so see how that goes.

Unlike one of the last posts by @jmvicke watching vids on my PC Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.804) with Firefox 85.0.2 I get no problems. >.>

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@rorie said:
@ravensword said:

It definitely should be still working? Are you using this link to load it? https://my.roku.com/add/2CJNDZ

Having the same issue where the Giantbomb channel keeps crashing whenever its opened. Tried both the regular and beta channel, both crash at boot. Using a Roku stick model 3600R

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmvicke said:

Videos will no longer play in Firefox on my Windows PC. I can hit the big white play button, but then it just gives me a black window. No controls (window size, play/pause, etc) show up. Just black and it gives me the little hand mouse on the black window. Videos work fine in Edge on the same computer.

Happens on all videos.

IP address is 207.237.228.246

Hmm, FF is working for me; is this still happening for you?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sini_23 said:

Android 10 - Chrome 88 -No Extensions - Videos on site crashing, many times per vid on longer ones -

Mostly watching UPFs from 2013-14, but watching lastest content too.

Just fired up this weeks Bombcast on my phone (Android 10, Chrome 88) and set quality to HD instead of Auto so see how that goes.

Unlike one of the last posts by @jmvicke watching vids on my PC Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.804) with Firefox 85.0.2 I get no problems. >.>

What do you mean by crashing? Like the browser itself crashes?

Sini_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Yeah, whole browser crashes. White page "Oops" or something. Are you thinking it's a Chrome 88 problem? I keep checking for updates as it has had a few in a past week or so.

DJ88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1179  Edited By DJ88

I’ve been having the same issue and I’m honestly at the breaking point with GB and watching video content. I used to love keeping up with all the premium streams, but my excitement has always been dampened by constant buffering and stuttering issues since at least 2013.

Here we are in 2021, where I can stream 4K 60 FPS content on my gigabit internet with zero issue on literally every video service on the planet on my TV, yet GB’s videos stiiiill constantly freeze up and buffer. How is this still a thing? I’ve tried all the different Apple TV apps that have come and gone, I’ve tried airplaying from the site on my phone, or the iOS GB video apps. Nothing ever works consistently.

It sucks but this one issue has caused me to completely ignore all the site’s video content and just stick to listening to the podcasts. I hope the aforementioned video player overhaul you mentioned @rorie finally fixes some of these issues because I’m extremely close to just canceling my premium subscription. I’d hate to do it cause I know it’s not the GB crew’s fault, but there’s just no sense in paying for content I can’t seamlessly view wherever I want in this year of 2021.

Nixamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos, and the other parts of the video pages, seem to have broken today for the PS4.
The best I can describe it is the page acts as if it doesn't fully load. The video element pops-in as a black rectangle, then shows the big-ol' play symbol, but the thumbnail-background either never appears or is almost-black dark. Clicking the button does nothing. No infinite loading, no cut to black, simply no reaction at all. The live video page simply flashes a white "loading: message". GB infinite shows the Twitch player elements (volume, quality, and the like) but has a loading circle for a time then cuts to a "error unsupported browser" message.

As for the other parts of a video page; comments don't load-in, but a long red bar can be clicked to bring them up. Also broken are the "Download" and "free/premium etc." drop-downs and the "choose year", "carousel", and "latest first" drop-downs. These things just do not react to being clicked on.

Everything else on the page seems to work. I can click on things in the carousel and move to a different video page, the drop-downs from the top of the page work (Videos/podcast/ etc.) and hyperlinks work as well.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dj88: Sorry, is this solely on tvOS or are the site VODs themselves also exhibiting the same behavior?

MysterEks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nixamo: Just seconding @nixamo's comment about videos through the PS4 browser. Worked fine yesterday. Today almost seems like my X button is broken on the page given how much stuff doesn't respond.

sizzlerxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting the youtube and GB player going at the same time on some quicklooks on firefox!

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey on iPhone 6s, using Safari, the site doesn't quite work anymore. The hamburger menu doesn't work, no matter how I tilt the screen (horizontal/vertical), and videos forever say "video is loading." Started happening today. I restarted my phone and still happens. I also can't post comments (the page refreshes and nothing gets posted when I click Submit).

Again: iPhone 6s, Safari, phone and app are up to date..

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey on iPhone 6s, using Safari, the site doesn't quite work anymore. The hamburger menu doesn't work, no matter how I tilt the screen (horizontal/vertical), and videos forever say "video is loading." Started happening today. I restarted my phone and still happens. I also can't post comments (the page refreshes and nothing gets posted when I click Submit).

Again: iPhone 6s, Safari, phone and app are up to date..

Hmm, maybe it's related to the PS4 issues above. Do you use any apps for Giant Bomb videos on that phone? Do those still work?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nixamo: Just seconding @nixamo's comment about videos through the PS4 browser. Worked fine yesterday. Today almost seems like my X button is broken on the page given how much stuff doesn't respond.

Yeah, I'm seeing all this as well. I've filed a bug but I don't know how long it'll take for this to be looked at; sorry for the trouble.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting the same problem as some people here on my iPad. Safari and Chrome won't load videos (nothing happens when you click/tap the play button).
The Giant Bomb Video Buddy still works fine, however.

racebelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same as @jjbsterling on my iPad. Chrome and Safari videos don't respond and the header menu will not drop down. It only works as a link to that category (i.e. click Videos and it takes me to the videos page). Just started 2 days ago.

DJ88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

@dj88: Sorry, is this solely on tvOS or are the site VODs themselves also exhibiting the same behavior?

It‘s happened when playing site VODs on mobile and when using iOS apps too.

Site VODs on desktop are the only place I’ve never had issues with, but I’m trying to watch on my TV.

dnosoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1190  Edited By dnosoup

The same issue described a few posts above is happening on my PS4 browser: videos suddently cannot be started. I also found the same problem on my Android device (I am using Kiwi Browser, based on Chrome).

garwalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Livestreams don't work with my Chromecast (Cast Ultra). When I try to cast to the Cast Ultra, either from Chrome on my Desktop (Windows 10) or Chrome from my phone (Android) then what appears on the TV is a black screen, with the title of the stream (e.g. "A Relaxed Friday Stream") and what looks like either a seek or loading bar that goes nowhere. The video never actually starts. I've tried changing quality in the Chrome window but that makes no difference.

Recorded videos, like a Quick Look or stream VOD, cast just fine without issue.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm getting the same problem as some people here on my iPad. Safari and Chrome won't load videos (nothing happens when you click/tap the play button).

The Giant Bomb Video Buddy still works fine, however.

I'm having the same issue with the internet browser on my Samsung q90t

Avatar image for jejuneinstitute
jejuneinstitute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having this problem on mobile as well. LG G6 running latest firefox build. All browsers on mobile are doing this for me though.

SPARTAN3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Play button and download button won't work on any video. Just noticed this today using a Asus Chrome Box. Version 76.0.3809.136.

Gamebeast23456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 can't play any videos.

sod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just chiming in to say the PS4 stuff is happening for me as well.

pazinyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to add that videos will not play on the Microsoft Edge browser app for Xbox One now either, they are unresponsive, be it Premium content or even trying to watch something via YouTube.

I am on an iPhone 7, latest iOS update, and the same videos I’ve tried on the XB1 Edge app actually do play for me in Safari with no issues.

A_Black_Falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1198  Edited By A_Black_Falcon

A similar problem has been happening to me recently as well in the Seamonkey browser in Windows 10, which is what I use. It always worked on this site with no issues until very recently, and I am using the most recent version. However, the site is now totally unusable. On this site, the Play button on videos, the Download dropdown, this box I am typing in right now (in a different browser) -- all are completely nonfunctional. You can't click them or anything, nothing happens. I can watch your stuff on Youtube, but that doesn't get me premium videos obviously. Unless this problem gets fixed, which I very much hope it does, I guess I need to use a different browser just for this site in the future; I'm posting this using Edge, which fortunately does still let me use the site.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a_black_falcon: well it's not every day that I learn about a browser I've never heard!

Just for everyone's clarification I think we know what is causing the issue on all these devices, just trying to figure out a solution. I should hopefully have more info tomorrow.