Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network

Concept »

The online service used on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita.

gift cards that were "already redeemed" but not?

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Anyone having issues with their PSN gift cards? This is a first for me...

Got two gift cards for XMas. They were for $50 each. I had to scratch off the gray stuff with a coin to reveal the codes. Tried entering them into the PS4 Redeem Code in the PlayStation Store and uh, I got an error saying the codes had already been redeemed. Huh?

Before you say "stolen", if they were stolen they would have never been activated at the register, which would produce a different error code.

I got on the PSN support chat, but after giving them the bum codes, they said that I would have to go back to the retailer (across the country) and ask for replacement codes. Even if I could get to the original retailer, imagine if I walk in with two clearly (now) used cards, and tell them, "these didn't work, gimme two replacements". Ugh.

How could codes already be redeemed? Does Sony not recycle codes when they're supposed to? Did their codebase get hacked? :/

dannyg280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Same thing happened to me. My wife purchased a $50 gift card from Best Buy and it has been in a card on our Xmas tree for weeks. I opened it scratched off the code and entered it and it said already used. Contacted Sony CS just to be told the code was redeemed on the 18th. Unreal.. The tell me to ask for a replacement from BestBuy, which as we know is going to laugh at me when I show up with a used card. So my wife paid $50 for a piece of cardboard.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

PSN is kinda wonky right now due to the influx of new PS4s. Wait a day or 2 and then try them again.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know for me right now, on PS3 at least, it seems PSN is down for maintenance. It's possible this could be related?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'll be on the watch for the cards I bought for my nephew, but I agree I would try non-working codes again in a week or two.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Same thing happened to me. My wife purchased a $50 gift card from Best Buy and it has been in a card on our Xmas tree for weeks. I opened it scratched off the code and entered it and it said already used. Contacted Sony CS just to be told the code was redeemed on the 18th. Unreal.. The tell me to ask for a replacement from BestBuy, which as we know is going to laugh at me when I show up with a used card. So my wife paid $50 for a piece of cardboard.

Update: I learned that my Mother-in-Law got the cards from a BestBuy in North Carolina. They are the cardboard cards, not the plastic ones. So... buyer beware of Best Buy?

ruzioius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey. I just made an account on this site to say the EXACT same thing.

I bought a cardboard $50 code from a California Best Buy and I scratched it off this evening and it says it's "already been redeemed." What gives?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.