Venting to My GB Family

rebellion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rebellion91

Forza Horizon 5 seems like a great game. The environments look fantastic, the cars seem awesome. It runs great on my aging PC at 4K in HDR. For reference I have a I7-8700k with a 1080ti. Not only that, but this game is on Game Pass. I should be stoked beyond belief.

Well... I'm not. I am a racing wheel person. I don't have a crazy cockpit and 3 ultra wide monitors with seat force feedback. But I have a nice, fairly expensive wheel setup. Logitech G923PS with shifter. Here are where the problems lie.

If you have a Logitech wheel you will repeatedly get a controller disconnected error. It will register 1 input from the wheel and then immediately throw an error. I managed to make it around this problem. When the error message is on the screen, if you hold enter on the keyboard and unplug it from the PC, it will "work".

I put that word in quotes because it works in the most general sense possible. None of the options seem to do anything. I have no force feedback, and the center spring is so tight the wheel will rip out of your hands making a slight turn.

Before anyone asks, I have updated both the Logitech software and the wheel firmware. I have even completely uninstalled the wheel, deleted the files from the registry, and reinstalled.... Twice.

I managed to make the wheel feel somewhat playable by using the Logitech software and some of the built in windows settings. I understand I am a minority. The bug list seems to be pretty long for this game on their support page at the time of this post. But...

This game is made by Turn 10. The same studio that makes Forza Motorsport. A game in which the wheel support is substantial. It isn't as good as Codemasters. If you ever buy a wheel and want the best experience you will have out of the box, get Dirt Rally 2.0. Seriously.

Horizon has options in the menus. They will eventually do something I assume. But one of the base things that other developers do is automatically change the shifting behavior based on the vehicle.

For instance with Dirt Rally 2.0: Does the car use paddles? Yes. The clutch and shifter are automatically ignored and you will shift with the paddles. Is it a manual transmission with clutch? Yes. The clutch and shifter are engaged and the car will stall.

This is an arcade racer. I have no problems with the wheel handling being under realistic, I just want the shit to work. I love racing games. Arcade, sim, and everything in between. I've been looking forward to playing another one.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d17e8766caf
deactivated-63d17e8766caf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

rebellion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a patch will eventually come out. I think the bigger problem is even when it's working (FH4) the support seems lacking. Especially from the same studio that makes Motorsport. I honestly feel the worst for console players. PC users have 3rd party tools like ForzaEMU to trick the game and make the force feedback work well. Even though it means you can't use the wheel in basically any menu unless you use G-Shift on Logi wheels and hold down a button. Giving you a completely different set of macros which you can then bind to keyboard inputs.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just an fyi, Playground Games does the Horizon games, not Turn 10. So that might explain some of the discrepancy.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a patch will eventually come out. I think the bigger problem is even when it's working (FH4) the support seems lacking. Especially from the same studio that makes Motorsport. I honestly feel the worst for console players. PC users have 3rd party tools like ForzaEMU to trick the game and make the force feedback work well. Even though it means you can't use the wheel in basically any menu unless you use G-Shift on Logi wheels and hold down a button. Giving you a completely different set of macros which you can then bind to keyboard inputs.

While I cannot speak for all Forza console users, and I have not tried my wheel with FH5 on my Series X, I have never had any real issues playing Forza games on an Xbox console with a wheel.