2nd Mario Movie Trailer

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Call me a sucker but I liked it and I'm looking forward to April.

SpectralCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. I mean they gave peach a flipping dragoon spear. They are playing with physical comedy & timing....Mario kart is there...it’s a visual feast for the eyes. Let’s a-go

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Maybe it'll be fun, who knows? What I do know is that the intense-movie-trailer rendition of the mario theme at the end of that trailer is preeeeeeeeetty bad.

Hope it's a good time!

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Timestamped for yallz

Gourgeande

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Movie looks alright btw, wished it was Martinet instead of Pratt just like everyone else.... or maybe Robert de Niro could of done a good job ;)

tlchwi02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chamurai: i'm not sure why people expect this to be bad. illumination makes solid if unspectacular movies that are family friendly and look good even if they don't have that disney/pixar budget. perhaps i'm judging on the parent 'its fine as long as it doesn't make me want to throw myself into traffic when i watch it with the kids' curve, but i suspect this will get a solid ~80% RT score with a slightly higher audience score if they nail some of the nostalgia beats

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it looked ok, i guess?

despite being raised on NES and SNES i don't really have Nintendo nostalgia, so i'm not really the target audience. but i bet kids will be waaay the fuck into this, and i look forward to the inexplicable cross promotional items like bowser bananas or mario milk.

dooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tlchwi02: History has shown that video game movies are almost always bad, so it's easy to assume this one will be too. Mario's story isn't particularly deep, either, so its going to have to have a ton of extra writing to build one, and that almost always ruins the source material that the movie is based on. There are a lot of reasons to be cautious.

Personally, I wasn't planning on seeing this regardless of quality (I'm not the demographic for this), but I don't think it looks that bad. It looks a lot better than the original Mario Bros movie, at least. The epic orchestral trailer music does not fit at all, though, lol.

tlchwi02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dooz: i guess its the idea that people are like 'wow, this looks competant.' Its a kids movie from a studio who's entire existense boils down to 'competancy at a fair price'. were people expecting these trailers to come out and look like old anime or like mario was going to be re-imagined as a futon or something?

B tier kids animated films are like a fast casual chain these days- its not going to be particularly amazing or interesting, but it will be on budget and consistently acceptable

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I liked what I saw, and I don't really like Nintendo characters in general except Pokemon. I think superfans will have to get over the Chris Pratt thing because...err I'm sorry I think the Princess Peach voice is more jarring; I adore Anya Taylor-Joy but her voice is jarring in that role and will take time for me. Yet NEITHER matter.

If we can adjust to Ryan Reynolds being Pikachu, I think we can adjust to any of the voice actors in this movie too. BTW: I thought Pokémon Detective Pikachu was awesome, and as I mentioned above I don't really like many Nintendo properties.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I for one think that it looks phenomenal, I don't get where all this cynicism is coming from. Do you not think that they've learned anything from the legendary failure of the 1993 movie? Especially when there is a subset of Internet culture that goes crazy for every new Pixar movie despite that they've all been following the same formula for maybe 20 years. People went fucking berserk for Zootopia but sure, the Mario movie is the one where we need to stay reserved.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I like what i saw.

I do think it's sad that a movie like this still has to have the very weighty epic music treatment instead of going with lighthearted whimsical music that would actually fit the vibe of the movie.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks... good. Fun. Jack Black seems like the perfect Bowser. I'm iffy on Chris Pratt but I don't think I could handle a whole movie of Charles Martinet. I'm very curious about the origin story - are Mario and Luigi going to be plumbers from Brooklyn? That idea seems to have died a long time ago. But where did they come from, then?

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollywoo: I believe in one of the promotional images, Brooklyn appears on a sign in the background. So... Yes?

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I feel like I'm turning a corner on the Mario voice now. Maybe this was just a bad selection of lines, but this trailer is where I finally went "Ah...".

Aside from looking nice, this trailer has me feeling like it's going for the absolute lowest hanging fruit and "look, it's that thing from the games!" gags. Which is fine, I guess. It definitely seems like a kid's movie.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It looks really stupid, but fun as hell. If I was a kid again, I'd be losing my mind

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shindig

Okay, with the Rainbow Road and Galaxy drops, I'm certain we'll see Wario and Luigi. There's your Charles Martinet.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cikame

Its really cool seeing an alien race that has normal looking suburbs, and it was funny when Drax lobbed the ball at the kids... wait...

cubidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk looks kinda crappy but I'm sure kids will like it. But I think the sonic movie looked like crap and people seemed to think that was okay so who knows. I was happy to see Rainbow Road though lol. Hopefully the Wa bros show up.