Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario 3D World

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 21, 2013

The Super Mario Bros. 2-cast of Mario, Luigi, Toad and Peach returns for their first 3D adventure with local multiplayer support. And cat suits. In HD.

What's the Greatest Video Game: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By imunbeatable80

This is an ongoing list where I attempt to do the following: Play, Complete, and Rank every video game in the known universe in order to finally answer the age old question "What is the greatest game of all time?" For previous entries find the links on the attached spreadsheet.

How did I do?

CategoryCompletion level
    CompletedYes
    Hours played~20 (Combined)
    Favorite CharacterRandom
    Favorite partThe First Bowser's Fury Boss Fight
    Least favoriteThe Length of 3D World
    No Caption Provided

Ok look, I don’t want to start off hostile, but I finished Mario 3d world and Bowser’s fury about 2 to 3 weeks ago, and I could have written about it for so long, but I really can’t find much to say about the game. I think the Mario 3d world portion is incredibly forgetful and kind of uninspiring for a Mario game. Yes, I know that the switch version is a port of the Wii-U game and it was perhaps magical or memorable at its time (I didn’t play it then, and I don’t own a Wii-U). However, I couldn’t bring myself to muster a lot of energy for the game, while I played or now, while I try to write about it. Let’s put it through its paces, but just know my heart is not in this one.

If we pretend you don’t know what this game is (and we are starting with just Mario 3d world), Mario 3d world is a 3d platformer staring a tradesman who never brings his tools on an adventure. You and up to 3 other buddies take control of Mario and some of his favorite pals as you go through close to 9000 levels attempting to grab some green stars and climb to the highest peak of the flagpole. There are some new powerups, mainly the cat powerup which turns you into a cat that can climb walls, use your claws to break bricks or attack enemies, and soar through the air. Bowser is at it again as he captures all the fairies that I guess have wandered into this game thinking it was a Zelda game, grants himself the wish of being a big cat, and then bottles up the fairies and leaves them strewn around the world, instead of holed up in one castle. Will Mario and friends free the fairies that you are just being introduced to? Who cares.. this summer from Nintendo.

No Caption Provided

I am trying desperately, while sitting at this keyboard, to think of one memorable level outside the final confrontation with Bowser, and I honestly can’t do it. I mean I remember the different worlds, I remember some aspects of levels where you ride a dinosaur that looks like it came from the Flintstones, but I couldn’t tell you the name of a level that I thought was truly great stuff. The thing is, I did everything there was to do in this game. I collected the 3 green stars from every level, I got all the stamps (not the ones that require playing as the same character for every level), I reached the top of the flagpole in every level, and I even beat the super hard final levels (boss rush, and regular platforming level). I did as much as possible to 100% this game outside of clearing every level with every available character. You may wonder why I would essentially 100% a game I clearly didn’t seem to enjoy, and you aren’t wrong for asking that question, but the thing is even a bad Mario game has a level of quality and polish that others may be missing. The difference with this particular game is that the magic is gone and this seems formulaic, which doesn’t suit a Mario game. Is the cat suit a fun addition? Sure, but it’s the closest we might get to having a P wing in a game again. With the cat suit on you can bypass large sections or even save yourself from certain death. I never felt like I was cheating when wearing it (in fact a lot of collectables require it) but I also felt that I was missing the point of some levels. Oh am I supposed to go up floor by floor in this level? Well with the cat suit I can just climb up like two or three at a time and ignore everything around me.

No Caption Provided

Maybe the main culprit of this game is time. When this game originally came out, there was no Mario Odyssey or Mario Wonder, or even Bowser’s Fury (which we will get to later). Those three games put some joy back into the little plumber and broke from its formula to inject some exploration, wimsy, fun, and a new perspective. This game doesn’t have any of those traits, and the only thing it has going for it is “multiplayer.” I love the Idea of playing this game with my kids or my wife and we tackle going for stars together, but I just don’t think this game in particular works well in multiplayer. To start, this is a single camera game, and while I don’t know if this game could work in split screen or 4-way split, the issue here is that the whole group has to follow in one person’s footsteps. If a character gets too far off screen, they will either teleport back to you, or die because they can’t see what they are doing. So everyone has to stay together, but there also isn’t enough on screen for everyone to feel like they are participating. You come across one collectable at a time, and whether you play democratically or anarchistic, since everyone has to follow the camera you will find yourself having to play follow the leader to pretend to collect something that isn’t even there anymore. Now the leader is determined by who did best and gets a crown based on previous level performance, so you could technically turn the game into a competition with each other, but if you are trying to actually get the stars and beat the game, you all need to be together anyway. What would put this idea over the top is if you could pull off the dynamic split screen like later Lego games, so that you could have people tackle different aspects of the level at the same time. Now there are certain times in levels when everyone would be forced to come together, boss fights, rolling log, etc. but having a few levels where you have to stick together is tolerable in comparison to every level being bunched up. I just think that it gives everyone something to do, collect coins, beat enemies, gather stars, or just make it to the end, and you don’t have to have one leader who gets to dictate that whole thing.

No Caption Provided

My kids eventually dropped wanting to play as they preferred going back to Odyssey or Wonder, and one got way into Galaxy, since they have the benefit of those games being out and in our possession. I didn’t blame them, but they never had the desire to see other worlds or levels as while they never stated it, they clearly weren’t as intrigued about what this game held. I’m not intelligent enough to delve into development issues or timeframes, or anything regarding that.. But I just don’t understand their idea with this game. They did the multiplayer all at the same time with Super Mario bros Wii, they have done better 3d in Mario 64, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and even Sunshine, so were people asking for “what if Super Mario Bros Wii was in 3d?” Did they come up with the idea of a catsuit first and then making a game came second? I am sure there is an obvious answer, I just don’t have it.

Ok, so what nice things do I have to say.. First, it’s a Mario game so there is a base line level of competence, which we already covered a little bit. The platforming is going to feel good, and the world is going to be bright and colorful, and the challenge level is going to ramp up at an acceptable level. It’s a good idea having the character select, like in Mario 2, before each level. I liked using the random function, just to see different flags dot each world, but it allows you to experiment with switching to Peach or Luigi on a level where you want that hover or flutter jump. Uhhh.. the catsuit is fun, but way overused in this game and overpowered. The fun of other powerups is that there is a use case in other games, there are use cases for them. Fire Flowers work great for water levels, or levels with lots of enemies, while the leaf power up is for levels with more precise jumps, or open areas. In Super Mario 3d world, the best powerup in all instances is the cat suit. Level with lots of enemies? Cat Suit. Level with tough platforming? Cat Suit. Level to help you get the top of the pole bonus? Cat Suit.

No Caption Provided

Alright I have to pivot because I’m just out of things to say. If this review was just for this game, it would be easily bottom half of the list, because it is just a forgettable formulaic entry in a series that is mostly known for being inventive and fun. However, we are going to talk about Bowser’s Fury as it is a pack in with this game (on the switch). Bowser’s Fury is a single player only adventure where you play as Mario who is trying to help Bowser Jr. calm his dad down. The crux of this game is that the whole game takes place in one 3d world that is divided into sections, but you can essentially travel anywhere at any time. You are still earning “Cat shines” which will unlock areas, or count towards your total to awaken bells for boss fights with Bowser, but there is no set order to the shines you have to earn or areas you have to go to next.

Before we go much farther, Bowser’s Fury is a drastic improvement over 3D world. While there aren’t levels per say, there are moments that are more memorable, Bowser feels at his most menacing and getting the shines at some of the sections are more fun then nearly any level in 3D world. If you were sensing a “but” coming up, you were right. Everyone lost their mind over this pack-in and said things like “Mario should go this way in the future,” but I don’t see how anyone could think this is a more interesting take then Mario Odyssey which came out before this. I got all 100 Cat Shines or however many there were, fought final Bowser twice to make sure I got the fully formed picture at the end credits, but I only saw this as a huge leap when I put it in comparison to it’s pack in partner. That’s not to say there aren’t good things to talk about, which we can.. but this is to say that I don’t think this should be the future of the 3d series.

No Caption Provided

Let’s dissect. The most important aspect is that this is truly an “open” world that Mario has gotten so far. There are no loading screens between areas, and assuming you have the sections unlocked you can run, jump, and swim your way from one section to the other with no interruption. While that is similar to Mario Odyssey, there are certainly more segregated areas in Odyssey. You might have to navigate through 3 change screens to get from one are to the other in Odyssey, while its all one continuous world here in Fury. In Fury the big gameplay mechanic is that Bowser comes out and harasses you basically on a timer regardless of where you are. The weather starts to change from Sunny and bright to rainy and dark, and eventually you start getting attacked with fireballs and angrier enemies then normal. This can create some nice tension while going for your average run of the mill Shine. Something that may have been a simple platforming section, now with the backdrop of angry Bowser is a harrowing race against time so you don’t die. Since these aren’t scripted moments though, they can be missed. Bowser could come out, 5 seconds before you touch a shine, and when you do touch it.. he disappears. I suppose you could wait at areas to give yourself a challenge, but the timing can be long between attacks, and that’s a lot of time to have Mario stand still just for a forced encounter. When he does pop out, you can engage him in a boss fight if you run to an unlocked bell, and these boss fights are certainly some of the best Bowser fights that have been done. You both transform into giant Kaijou and battle in the oceans which is a great spectacle, but admittedly becomes stale after the 2nd or 3rd time you have that battle.

When you enter a zone, it gives you the name of a shine you can get at the time, and depending it might be setup in a certain way. So there are certain shines that need to have trigger points for you to get. Whether that is a certain enemy or jumping puzzle that might not normally be in the area it needs to be. Sometimes that does mean that in order for that shine to pop up in an area, you actually have to go somewhere else first. There isn’t a cooldown timer on these, and usually just by the time you walk to a different zone and back the level is setup, but if you were truly trying to complete each area before you move on to the next, just know that the game kinda doesn’t want you doing that. It can be fun to find a hidden shine off the beaten path that you weren’t expecting to be there, but, and I promise I am not doing this to anger you, it still doesn’t reach the heights of Mario Odyssey when you find stars off the beaten path.

No Caption Provided

As for the kid sniff test, this was one of the first games my kid beat. He actually beat Bowser’s Fury well before I “started” it. He needed help with all the Bowser fights (he is 5), but with the open world he was able to find shines that were in his wheelhouse to get without needing help on every section. While this isn’t the first Mario game to do this, but you can roll credits with only getting about half of the total shines in the world and that was enough for him.

Circling back, really the most exciting aspect that this game does have going for it, that Odyssey didn’t do better is the idea of an ever present Bowser who is mucking things up at any time. When things line up at just the right time it can be a cool and exciting moment for you to navigate around, but things have to line up just right. For the 10% that it did line up, they were some incredibly harrowing moments, but other times its either a minor inconvenience or just a flat waste of time. It’s a cool concept, and at a small scale like this game (8-10 hours) it can work, but I was butting up against being bored with the gimmick by the end of the game, so I don’t think it could work for a larger scale game.

No Caption Provided

Alright, so where does this collection stand in the grand scheme of things? Listen I stand by my critiques and I will say that perhaps I didn’t articulate them well, because this write-up was the first one in a long time that felt like an actual chore. These weren’t super bad games that I enjoy pointing out all their flaws, or great games I get to celebrate their triumphs, or even interesting games that I don’t think people have heard of. They are instead just competent games that are very forgettable. While Bowser’s Fury picks up this grouping a little bit, I am not nearly as high on this experiment as other people when it came out. Is it fun and a welcome change to 3d World… 1000% yes, but is it knocking on the door of great Mario games on its own, absolutely not. It’s crazy to think about, that there would exist a platformer Mario game that I would probably be ok with never playing again, and I would have never thought that was possible before playing this game. Granted I haven’t played Super Mario Bros Wii, which I also know gets a lot of shit, but I don’t see this game coming up high on the “I should play that game again soon” list.

Is this the greatest game of all time?: No of course not

Where does it rank: I actually have it ranked as the 102nd Greatest Game of All Time. Maybe that seems surprising, but it is still a well-made game, and Bowser's Fury is a good addition to bring up the overall package, but it is just such a forgettable Mario game which is weird. I don't think I would return to this game on my own unless my kids really want to get back into it.

What's it Between: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury currently sits between Blazing Beaks (101st) and Seventh Cross Evolution (103rd)

Anyone looking for it: here is the link to the list and more if you are interested in following along with me (this is not a self promotion).Here. I added links on the spreadsheet for quick navigation. Now if you missed a blog of a game you want to read about, you can get to it quickly, rather than having to scroll through my previous blogs wondering when it came up.

Thanks for listening

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that this ranking is unfair and biased by what you think a Mario game should be. In other words you think this game is bad for a Mario game (I personally don't agree, but fine) but it's not really fair to rank it that way against other games. Like do you really believe that Kinect Sports and Empire of Sin are better games than this? I don't think you do and I don't think that the write ups content really supports that.

I agree that Super Mario Bros. 3D World is not the best Mario game (though if you'd played New Super Mario Bros. U you would understand better why it got a positive reception at the time) though I disagree that Bowser's Fury can't hold up against the best Mario experiences. I mean you don't even mention Nessie, and Plessie's use in terms of "negative space" in the world is one of the best design elements I can remember in the last 10 years of games. Bowser's Fury is a world of genius. There's a reason it's one of the first games your kid finished.

Getting back to the package as a whole, you ask what the point of 3D World was and it was obviously a companion to 3D Land. It makes a lot less sense without the 3DS stereoscopic 3D, but I understand why they wanted to make a full console version of that game style, and obviously the Wii U and 3DS had a lot in common as dual screen systems. It's an interesting take on 3D Mario and does have some really good levels (again, PLESSIE! You want memorable levels? PLESSIE IS RIGHT THERE!) but ultimately it lacks the freedom of the sandbox Mario games while also not being as tight in level design as the best 2D games. It has some really great stuff in it (the twin cherries are another huge highlight) and is fun to play, but I think it benefited a lot from being a Wii U game at a time when that system's owners were starving for stuff to play. On the Switch it is much less impressive, even though it's apparently a better version of the game, especially with regards to movement speed.

But it is NOT a bottom half game by any means. It's really really good. The fact that you did everything in it is testament to it not actually being mediocre. You certainly didn't have to. It may disappoint as a Mario game but it's still probably top 20-15% in terms of major publisher games overall. Maybe top 10%.

Now where's our ranking for Iggy's Reckin' Balls?

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: thanks for the comment, but I disagree.. it's place on the list maybe affected by other mario games, but it also indicative of how much fun I had with it and whether I would recommend someone with no knowledge check out the game. I was bored while playing 3d world and I got to that part pretty early (like world 4). Me being a sucker for completionism isn't because I couldn't put the game down for fun, but because I was determined to see it through.

I sadly never owned a wii-u and can't pretend I did to give this game a glow-up because it was a much needed game on a starved system. Playing it now, on the switch, I just didn't see the charm that Mario games normally have. Plessie may live on in your heart, but doesn't do anything for me. And the only levels that stood out are ones that took me multiple attempts to clear, not because of the fun I had playing them.

Bowsers fury might be impacted by hype, because everyone and their mom talked about it as if a new video game god appeared, and I just didn't get that. It's good, and on its own might be a top 50 game on my list, but it didn't wow me like it did other people. Is it a technical marvel for Nintendo, sure.. maybe.. but I'm not going crazy thinking that is the blueprint for new 3d mario games. My kid did get attached, because it was one of the first games he could handle playing a majority on his own, which is a testament to the game, but also got so turned off from 3d world proper that it hasn't been looked at since he stopped playing.

However to answer the two big questions.. yes maybe this game suffered because I didn't think a mario game would let me down so much, and yes I would easily rather boot up kinect sports or empire of sin for a re-playthrough right now over this collection.

Maybe in a month or two removed I don't think as harshly about this game, and I tell myself I'm going to do a big list cleanup at some point as I rethink some rankings.. and this game moves up 10 spaces, but right now that seems farfetched.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imunbeatable80: Okay. It's one thing for you to come after Mario, that's fine, but now you're going after PLESSIE? I'm ready to fight you FOR REAL* now!

A lot of people agree that 3D World doesn't have the full on Mario charm (though I think it's much better than NSMBU) but again we're judging it against the most venerated series in gaming history. And I don't think completionism explains everything here because you're not a completionist with every game. I've read a lot of these entries of yours. YOU HAVE NO SECRETS, PLESSIE HATER!

I get that you were disappointed by Super Mario 3D World, and honestly I'm not too pressed about wherever it ends up on your list, but I do think that calling it below average does a disservice to just how well designed it is, especially Bowser's Fury. There's a reason your kid was able to finish it and part of it is just how tightly designed and clearly signposted everything is. There's also the innovative (for Mario) power up system and, as previously stated, Plessie, who is a real design innovation in terms of the use of negative space and transit.

It's objectively a really well designed game that a lot of game designers admire. And while how "fun" it is is subjective, I do think it's very good, and the only way it looks mediocre is in comparison to the expectations for Mario.

I've played a lot of 3D platformers in the last few years and if you play something like Clive 'N Wrench, or even the very good Penny's Big Breakaway the polish and design of 3D World (let alone Bowser's Fury) is in a whole different league.

*I don't mean actual physical violence. I was in a real physical street fight about a month and a half ago and it was scary and terrible. I mean the realest fight there is. The ultimate fight! SMASH BROTHERS! You deserve a dose of Dedede's hammer for your insolence!

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By chamurai

I respect your views as a scientist of ranking games but as someone who owned Super Mario 3D World on the WiiU and the Switch I'm gonna have to be a Super Mario 3D Flat-Worlder. The levels being the relative size of a standard 2D Mario level with the openess of a 3D Mario is exactly what I want from a Mario game. Call me weird but, the 3D platformers such as Galaxy and Odyssey are...TOO openended for my tastes and the 2D Marios just don't do it for me anymore either. I know they're great games but something about them just doesn't hold my attention for that long. I get kind of distracted with the vast amount of Stuff I can do in an open world game and just drop off after a few levels. I somehow beat Bowser in Odyssey but I did none of the end game content cuz I just had no interest in wandering around the VAST multitudes of nooks and crannies that game offered over its many huge levels. By the way, yes, I did drop off of Bowser's Fury for the same reasons. I became a giant Cat Mario once and beat up Bowser and stopped playing after getting a handful of cat shines.

Last year I was excited as everyone else about Mario Wonder but even then I dropped off pretty heavily after a couple levels because I guess my idea of a 2D Mario is something you kinda breeze through without stopping while Wonder is all about finding the seeds and stars hidden about and yeah, you can just go straight to the flag pole without getting any of that extra stuff but that's not the main focus of that game or any 2D Mario since the New Super Mario series.

The mobility and level design of a 3D platformer in a 2D style stage has that perfect balance in SM3W that I need and its what got me to 100% this game on my Switch a couple years back. I hadn't done that in a Mario game since Mario 64. That's not even mentioning the soundtrack is damn good, but of course it is, it's a Mario game.

Also, Plessie. More Plessie.

I didn't mean for this to be so long winded and, like I said, I'm most likely just a small minority of Mario fan and need to focus in a certain way to really enjoy the 3D Marios.

Great write-up as always!

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: hopefully you are okay from your real street fight.. I have lots of questions, mainly who would dare want to fight bigsocrates, but I'm going to respect your privacy.. I will call out the power up situation in Bowsers fury as being incredibly great.. my problem though is you never need any power ups that, again, aren't a cat suit. Maybe it's just how I play.. but it seemed like it was a 10-1 in terms of "is the cat suit the best for this shine, or another powerup."

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chamurai: thanks for the comment as always.. I'm glad to hear there are defenders of 3d world. I do think we are just on opposite ends of the mario spectrum which is why I didn't connect with this game the way I do with other Marios. I was probably too rude about 3d world, because as @bigsocrates pointed out (and I agree): it is a well made game and plays like a well made game, I just didn't connect the way I normally do with mario games.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imunbeatable80: It honestly wasn't THAT much of a street fight. I saw a guy arguing with his female partner and it looked like it might get violent. Then it did, and when he punched her in the face I got between them to break it up. He tried to knock me out, I used my limited but sufficient skills and size advantage to block his attack and stared him down. He left and I convinced her not to follow. I didn't even take a punch except on my forearm and I didn't throw one either (honestly I'm more of a grappler than a striker), but it was still a very unpleasant experience. Not recommended.

But if I didn't want to throw a punch at this real-life guy for punching his wife/girlfriend in the face and then trying to knock me out I'm certainly not going to want to throw a real punch at a friendly-seeming guy like you just because I disagree with your science. HOWEVER, I really would have no compunction with giving you a virtual smack with Dedede's hammer for your Plessie views!

My memory is that the leaf and the projectiles were both pretty useful in Bowser's Fury, but I just thought the whole structure of power ups was really well done and especially well designed for kids. There was also the ice skate, and the propeller box, just a lot of fun mechanics in that game. Again I'm certainly not arguing that it has to be your favorite Mario game, like what you like, I just think it's objectively a very well designed game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.