Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 64

Platform »

The successor to the SNES was Nintendo's entry in the fifth home console generation, as well as the company's first system designed specifically to handle polygonal 3D graphics.

64 in 64: Episode 41

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator
    No Caption Provided

Welcome back to the bonus stage of history with this, the most elucidating and entertaining Nintendo 64 retrospective blog series of all those that are currently on your screen right now (aiming high with these approbations) known to those in certain circles, as well as everywhere else, as 64 in 64. We're four episodes into this final season now and I'm working on tying up all the loose ends I've created like it's the final season of Lost and I've left way too much enigmatic nonsense on the table. Just saying, don't be surprised if the finale has the random chooser app suddenly wake up and realize it dreamed all this.

In the interest of said loose ends, our pre-selected choice this week is the third game I've covered in its particular franchise out of four games to have graced the N64, so I'm not quite sure how I plan to shoehorn in that fourth and final game. The randomizer pick, coincidentally, also has us returning to a particular genre I've explored previously but in that case it's not one I'm in any hurry to revisit again for completion's sake. It's almost like that thing just chooses whatever the heck it wants, huh. This will be a pretty low-key episode all told but at least I didn't have to deal with anything too torturous, though I guess that's maybe a knock against it given how quickly this site has taken to schadenfreude with the popularity of Blight Club. Buncha animals around here, feasting on an endless trough of despair and misery.

Speaking of despair and misery, we'd best get to these rules. It's been a month I'm sure everyone's forgotten them already.

• We play two N64 games for sixty-four minutes apiece. I'm using the royal "we" here, since I'm not about to find someone willing to join in on all this self-flagellation.
    • The first is chosen by me from the small number of half-decent N64 games still remaining, the other is selected randomly from the much greater number of zero-decent N64 games by some software I keep choosing to anthropomorphize. That little guy is truly spoiled for choice these days.
    • I've tried to dig up all I can on each game's history while providing a play-by-play of my struggles with it over the allotted hour, followed by a candid appraisal of its longevity and how likely it is to join the Nintendo Switch Online retro emulation library. Sometimes you need to justify spending an hour with a nothing-game by writing way more about it than you need to. Oops, I'm getting too inside baseball again.
    • This feature is not permitted to even breathe the same rarified air as the vaunted few already in said Nintendo Switch Online retro emulation library. They've already met whatever esoteric qualifications Nintendo has for its older games to earn a second life. Good for them. I wish Nintendo would say I was worth preserving. Wait, did I say that out loud?

I realize I may have tricked some folks with my ribald April Fools' gag earlier this month, but I assure you this is a real series that is truly on its forty-first entry. The others are all here in the table below. I swear they won't all redirect to one Mr. Astley swearing his eternal fidelity through the medium of song. Just most of them.

Episode 1Episode 2Episode 3Episode 4Episode 5
    Episode 6Episode 7Episode 8Episode 9Episode 10
    Episode 11Episode 12Episode 13Episode 14Episode 15
    Episode 16Episode 17Episode 18Episode 19Episode 20
    Episode 21Episode 22Episode 23Episode 24Episode 25
    Episode 26Episode 27Episode 28Episode 29Episode 30
    Episode 31Episode 32Episode 33Episode 34Episode 35
    Episode 36Episode 37Episode 38Episode 39Episode 40
    Episode 41Episode 42Episode 43Episode 44Episode 45
    -=-Episode 46Episode 47Episode 48-=-

Bomberman 64: The Second Attack / Baku Bomberman 2 (Pre-Select)

No Caption Provided

History: Bomberman 64: The Second Attack! is the third Bomberman to grace the Nintendo 64 and the second that Hudson developed themselves (the other, Bomberman Hero, was instead outsourced to A.I.). It plays much like the original Bomberman 64, allowing players to pump up bombs to create larger booms and offers Zelda-like 3D dungeons to explore in a mostly linear fashion with puzzles and well-hidden collectibles, with a few additional new mechanics. The story is set directly after Bomberman 64 but with a new cast of characters (mostly; a certain blue jerk makes a return) including a shapeshifting mascot familiar named Pommy who assists Bomberman and a potential love interest in the rival hero Lilith.

Hudson spent quite a while being rivals of Nintendo themselves, pushing their own hardware platform the PC Engine/Turbografx-16 for most of the 16-bit generation, but even so they were still very busy producing games on every Nintendo platform up until the company was eventually dissolved in 2012 by its parent Konami. Prior to that, much of Hudson's talent left to form NDCube: a Nintendo subsidiary that now directs the Mario Party series as well as other Switch party games like Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics. The Hudson N64 games with the highest (if not necessarily the best-regarded) profiles were the three initial Mario Party games, but they also developed and/or published several others that we might yet bump into (though at this point the only remaining ones are Japanese-only, so they'll probably be random picks if anything). I hadn't heard of Vatical Entertainment before, and it turns out there's a good reason: they were only active for three years (1999-2001). They also published the North American localizations of Bomberman Max for GBC and Bomberman Party Edition for PS1, suggesting a strong enough relationship with Hudson. They have just the one other N64 credit: Vicarious Visions's snowmobile racer Polaris SnoCross (kinda fitting given Vicarious Visions would later be consumed by a blizzard).

I was a pretty big fan of Bomberman 64 even for all its faults but I'd never tried this sequel until now, in part because it didn't review all that well at the time. Despite that, I've been curious for a long while about how (if at all) it tried to improve on the formula set out by the somewhat mechanically-odd Bomberman 64, which didn't quite take to 3D as naturally as Mario and Zelda did, and what sort of plot continuation it pursued after Bomberman 64 introduced cosmic cubes and betrayal twists to its universe of cute little armored goons blowing each other up. That first game got pretty dark, all things considered.

16 Minutes In

The beige boxes can't be destroyed, but this silver one with the crosses sure can. I just need an explosion big enough to reach it (or I could just drop a bomb down from above).
    The beige boxes can't be destroyed, but this silver one with the crosses sure can. I just need an explosion big enough to reach it (or I could just drop a bomb down from above).

The intro gave us quite a bit of story to set us up here: Bomberman found an egg at some point while travelling the galaxy after the conclusion of Bomberman 64 but while waiting for it to hatch he gets caught in the gravity well of a black hole and ends up teleported to a mysterious base where soldiers of a "BHB Army" imprison him and take away his Fire Stone. Turns out the Fire Stone is one of seven gems that govern reality (where have I heard something like that before?) and is the reason Bomberman seems to have an infinite supply of incendiaries. While in chokey the egg finally hatches into a floppy-eared monstrosity calling itself Pommy (frequently, since it's always talking in third-person) who recovers the Fire Stone and allows Bomberman to escape by doing what he does best: blowing everything up.

First thing I noticed here is that the gameplay has shifted to something closer to the original 8-bit/16-bit Bomberman games while still retaining a few choice aspects from Bomberman 64. Gone are the radial explosions, instead going back to the cardinal cross blast waves with a few modern touches: for instance, if the flame hits an angled wall, it will travel along it for a while. You can still inflate bombs by holding onto them and these larger petards will create the big radials of the previous game, but you'll need a glove power-up first as per the old rules. Speaking of, you also need the kick power-up to boot explosives towards enemies and the remote bomb is here as always if you're lucky enough to find it. If anything, the remote makes things too easy: the first boss fight I had, against a fire dude calling himself Baelfael (also what it's called when you are unable to escape a fight in a RPG), actually went out of its way to disable the remote bomb power-up to keep things fair. Speaking of whom, I was in said boss fight just before the timer went off and accidentally wandered into the moat (actually a sewer) around the fight arena and instantly died, so I'll be in a rematch the moment this next segment begins.

32 Minutes In

Wow. What are the odds.
    Wow. What are the odds.

Baelfael has faeled his last bael and shortly after we are introduced to Lilith who, in a twist I find slightly uncomfortable, looked like a normal human being but with Bomberman proportions. Evidently Bomberman wasn't as put off by this uncanny Funko valley business as I was because he was soon head over heels despite some very suspicious behavior from the moment this heroine suddenly appeared, chief of which being that the game introduced her as "Lilith, the Scourge of the Starways". Nope, no red flags being raised here. After that, we're told what our next objective will be after feeding bombs to the local boss: we have to destroy the gravity generator that's at the center of this artificial planet we're on, and doing so will allow us to escape and hopefully not also destroy the planet and kill everyone on it. Well, not that I haven't been doing a fine job of that already as I make my way through this gross-looking sewer-base. I just entered said generator room when the timer pinged again.

I found some mysterious (and well-hidden) capsules while playing and I suspect these are the multiplayer cosmetic items that were also very carefully concealed in Bomberman 64 too. One involved reaching a secret room in the moat of that boss fight (once I'd removed the water, of course) and the second required setting up a bunch of remote bombs that I could hop across to clear a gap: the two strategies most of the cosmetic hunts in the previous game required also. I don't think I'll go collectible crazy this time around, but these things do tend to require more puzzle-solving than the regular gameplay loop provides (which involves way fewer puzzles and way more explosions) so I might find myself distracted from time to time regardless.

48 Minutes In

Great, Regulus is back, except now he's calling himself Bulzeeb and is somehow even more of an edgelord. Everyone needs their own Shadow the Hedgehog I guess.
    Great, Regulus is back, except now he's calling himself Bulzeeb and is somehow even more of an edgelord. Everyone needs their own Shadow the Hedgehog I guess.

The gravity generator room was just a gauntlet to remove a bunch of shield generators protecting the target, then blowing up said target. Plenty of enemies to fight but it didn't seem necessary to go after them: however, since some of the shield generators needed some platforming nuance to reach it seemed prudent to clear out any nearby enemies first rather than let them interfere. I figured I'd be timed in some way—like the shield generators come back online after a minute or so—but there was nothing that demanding. Might be something they introduce for the later ones though. After that we were treated to one of those "all the bad guys have a meeting to let you know who is who" cutscenes and then we had access to the world map, which gives you two options: the ocean planet or the wind planet. The shop is also available on the world map, so I made sure to buy a health upgrade as well as a couple of cosmetic items with my remaining change. Oddly, the first item up for sale was Wario's moustache. I guess Wario Blast established they inhabited the same universe? Last, as soon as we touched down on the ocean planet (which is called Aquanet, so I hope Hudson cleared that with the hairspray people) Pommy, the disturbing little gremlin that he is, evolved into "Knuckle Pommy" based on all the random food items I kept picking up in the previous world. Won't make much of a difference to me though, as I'll explain below.

So, let's talk about Pommy's role in the game. Far as I can tell he's one of those asymmetric co-op additions like Tails in Sonic 2 that you can let your skill-deficient kid, younger sibling, or partner control since he (she? they?) is effectively immortal. Too many cooks is definitely a factor in any Bomberman when you're dropping explosives all over the place though, so I'm not sure how helpful it is to have two of you causing mayhem given how relatively narrow these rooms can be. The Pommy evolutions, which I'm sure have some sort of hidden logic to how you activate them, will change Pommy's attributes or give them new attacks. Since I've no second player around to test these mechanics on Pommy's just been hanging out so far, though they make it a point to go hide and cower during boss fights (presumably as, much like in Sonic 2, they can become a tad too easy with an invincible helper—same reason for taking the remotes away).

64 Minutes In

Aquanet has a bunch of water-level lowering puzzles, as you might expect from any N64 water temple level. It's usually pretty obvious where the water's coming from if you need to stop the flow.
    Aquanet has a bunch of water-level lowering puzzles, as you might expect from any N64 water temple level. It's usually pretty obvious where the water's coming from if you need to stop the flow.

I spent this last segment exploring Aquanet, which was probably a poor second choice given how much of this world involves eluding the high water levels or else dying instantly. At one point I broke a wall barricade which had a whole bunch of water rush in on the level I was standing; I figured as soon as the cutscene was over I'd immediately drown, but fortunately it was only waist-high. Bombs don't work great in the water as you might surmise and this world had a whole bunch of annoying enemies, including crabs that sap you of power-ups if their bubbles hit you and seals that will take any nearby bomb and pick it up and throw it back at you like they were playing fetch. Worst of all was Pommy giving Bomberman shit every five minutes about not being able to swim; fortunately, once you have the glove power-up you can also pick Pommy up and throw it into, let's say, a large body of water. Let's see how buoyant you are, you furry Kirby knock-off.

Truth be told I had a pretty good time here. The worlds feel like they have more personality to them than in the previous game, fitting not only the aesthetics around the current theme but also enemies and puzzles too. A 3D map of the world that's visible on the pause screen gives you some idea of where you're going, if not always a clear route, but the game's been fairly straightforward so it's probably not a major factor. Again, gotta assume if there's map tech involved that the worlds are going to start getting a bit more non-linear and complex to navigate before too long. Either way, though it backtracks on the divisive ingenuity of Bomberman 64 for the sake of being a watered-down hybrid, I can't say I found The Second Attack all that disagreeable. I'm sure there's a major component of the Bomberman fandom that still wonders why these games bother with single-player campaigns in the first place.

How Well Has It Aged?: There Wasn't a Third Attack For a Reason. Eh, it's fine. It's Bomberman. Hard to screw up Bomberman too badly, especially when you play it safe like this one. Usual assortment of robot villains to explode one after the other and outside of that you're spending your time destroying parts of the environment for power-ups and hidden buttons/exits. Bomberman level design always seems to start and end with "what if Zelda but he stopped getting new items after the bombs, because what else do you really need at that point?" as a philosophy, and I can't say it's not a sound one.

Chance of Switch Online Inclusion: Konami. Been a while since our last Konami game and those pachinko fiends continue to be unpredictable when it comes to licensing their back catalog. Recently they've been busy putting new Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Contra, and (of course) Bomberman games into production so they've certainly been making an effort but I still don't think they're invested enough to dig up their old N64 games and make those available again, especially with the poor reputation of the N64 Castlevanias and experiments like Hybrid Heaven. My hope that they localize all the Ganbare Goemon games in one compilation continues to look sadly improbable.

Retro Achievements Earned: 2 (out of 50). Most of these are highly conditional, arbitrary stuff that you wouldn't think of doing if there wasn't an achievement attached to it. Like dropping a remote bomb on all four pillars in the arena that hosts the Baelfael fight. There's also a large number reserved for the Pommy transformations, so that's probably going to require a few playthroughs and a guide open nearby.

Mahjong 64 (Random)

No Caption Provided

History: Mahjong 64 is a relatively barebones and straightforward mahjong simulator that was released early in the platform's lifespan in Japan only. Its framing device is that you're at a school for mahjong and must complete the curriculum to graduate, earning enough credits from mahjong victories to pass from one grade to the next—this includes competing with fellow students as well as learning how to play the game more effectively. Despite the simple name suggesting it got there first, it was actually the second mahjong game to be released on N64 after Konami's Mahjong Master (released the previous December) out of a total of seven mahjong games for the system. It's also the second mahjong game we've covered on here after Imagineer's Mahjong Hourouki Classic from Episode 34, but don't hold your breath on me "finishing the set".

Publishers Koei were best known at this time for their strategy simulation franchises like Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Sangokushi) and Nobunaga's Ambition (Nobunaga no Yabou), none of which ever saw a N64 release. They would in fact only publish two games for the system: this and Operation: WinBack, a third-person shooter that was developed by their subsidiary Omega Force (the musou guys) which has the distinction of being the first third-party game to be included in the Switch Online N64 library. Mahjong 64 would also be Chat Noir's sole N64 game: these contract developers almost exclusively made mahjong games for whomever would pay them.

You know what they say about bad luck and black cats crossing your path and here's that aphorism in action with Mahjong 64, possibly the dullest-looking N64 game I've yet encountered. I got drowsy just looking at the box art, despite the spiky action bubble. That said, I can at least handle mahjong unlike shogi or hanafuda so I don't imagine I'll be completely lost over the next hour even with the language barrier. Maybe I'll find some way to make this interesting to read about? Doesn't seem like the random chooser app wants to help my SEO any, but I suppose there are worse things they could've saddled me with. So many worse things. In fact, let's stop talking before I give it too many ideas.

16 Minutes In

Mahjong's a very involved game where almost every combination of tiles has its own name. This particular hand is called 'trash'.
    Mahjong's a very involved game where almost every combination of tiles has its own name. This particular hand is called 'trash'.

Wow, this... sure is mahjong all right. After getting through a few preliminary menus where you contribute a name and gender (the text input was almost interesting: rather than give you separate keyboards for hiragana, katakana, and romaji they just had the hiragana set and then had you choose which character you actually meant from a separate menu, including dakuons. Like I said, almost interesting) I'm dropped on a map screen of the mahjong school campus and left to figure out which one will take me to a mahjong game. Fortunately, it was the building on the cursor's default starting position and it didn't take long until I was slapping down tiles like the best of 'em.

I wasn't sure what approach this game was going to have with its school framing gimmick, like whether it was one of those "puzzle" mode type of variations you might see for games like chess or shogi where the board is set up in a mid-game state and you're told that you can checkmate in three moves if you know what you're doing. Perhaps those would be the "lessons" to help you get better at judging what type of yaku to aim for or what would be the more reliable, safer option. Something like a thirteen orphans hand would be nice and all, but maybe not worth sacrificing a fail-safe like a meld of dragons. I'm sure this all sounds like gibberish to a non-mahjong type, but I'm often curious about the intentions of a mahjong game developer when the playing field is already stacked with so many identical sims already; you'd hope they're not just trying to coast along by putting out a cheap adaptation of a board game enough people are into that it's guaranteed to sell at least reasonably well, but maybe I'm expecting too much creativity and ambition from a game literally called "Mahjong 64". Well, even if this game is as basic as it comes, I can at least spend an hour playing regular mahjong without issue. Hell, I've done it often enough in any given Like a Dragon playthrough.

32 Minutes In

As is often the case, a good hand in mahjong might be worth even more than you anticipated. I knew I'd get points for having a hand that was all-simples, all-pons, and had three sets in different suits of the same number (4), but I didn't realize this would be worth 8 han in total. That extremely smug expression my character is making is well-earned.
    As is often the case, a good hand in mahjong might be worth even more than you anticipated. I knew I'd get points for having a hand that was all-simples, all-pons, and had three sets in different suits of the same number (4), but I didn't realize this would be worth 8 han in total. That extremely smug expression my character is making is well-earned.

Not much to report, I'm still in the same game I was in before though with that last hand I may have secured victory. I finally figured out what button it was to acknowledge an opportunity—what happens in mahjong games is that an opponent discards a tile that starts flashing, which is the game prompting you to take action by taking that discard into your own hand. There are various reasons why you'd want (or not want) to do this that I won't go into here but I'd been trying every button to make the menu pop up that would tell me what I could do with that discarded tile, and it turns out the magic button was down on the Control Stick. I guess because your position is always the southern player (positionally at least, if not in how the cardinal directions play a role in mahjong since those switch every round) there's some intuitive sense in that but, I mean, you have two main face buttons right there: just have one to confirm that you want to leave the discard where it is, and the other to take it for your hand. Simple enough, right? Whatever, I figured it out before it cost me a ron (i.e. the "I win" button) so it's all good in the hood. The mahjong hood.

Let's talk aesthetics. The game's characters are fairly unappealing because someone decided to use pre-rendered CG rather than sprites and there's this polygonal hand model that is used whenever a player places down tiles (and has male and female versions) which feels like a needlessly expensive indulgence given it doesn't look too hot either. However, the tiles themselves appear nice enough with their little shadows and the music's been surprisingly fun: there's a whole bunch of tracks I've heard so far, and while they're the typical jazzy and/or Chinese restaurant muzak you'd find in any mahjong adaptation like this I'm surprised there's so many of them. I imagine what's actually the case is that there's a distinct BGM for each "wind": once you hear "South" playing, for instance, that's a simple but effective indicator that you're currently South. Could also just be instead that they composed a whole bunch of VGM for this and wanted to use it. Now, if only I could keep the kanji for the four winds straight... (I remember East is the tripod-looking one since East is usually the most important, but I confuse the other three all the time.)

48 Minutes In

The results of the first match. Kinda figured we'd all be highschoolers given the setting, but there's no '21 Jump Street' universe where the guy on the right can pass off as a student. Even Steve Buscemi carrying two skateboards would be more convincing.
    The results of the first match. Kinda figured we'd all be highschoolers given the setting, but there's no '21 Jump Street' universe where the guy on the right can pass off as a student. Even Steve Buscemi carrying two skateboards would be more convincing.

Somehow, the player that I scored a ron against in the previous segment was able to keep on playing with negative points so we finished that game with me ahead and I earned a certain amount of currency that I imagine goes towards my mahjong GPA or something. A menu popped up and I chose the top option and I was back to playing the same group again, so I hope it was "rematch" and not "restart" since I'm never going to be that lucky again. Then again, it's not like progress is all that important considering I'll never play a second more of this game once the sixty-four minutes are through, but there's always that slight pang of regret whenever you feel like you may have accidentally wiped your own progress.

Boy howdy, I wish I had more to say about this perfectly anodyne mahjong game. A few observations behind the odd way this game handles riichi, then. Riichi, after which the Japanese style of Riichi Mahjong is named, is a move you can do when you only need one tile to complete your hand and you've yet to reveal any part of it (which you'd need to do if you wanted someone's discarded tile). You're basically boasting to the table that you're on the cusp of winning and doing so gives you bonus points once you do win, but the drawback is that it costs 1,000 points (out of your starting total of 25,000) to declare riichi and if someone else wins those points are lost forever (though they do get returned if the game's a draw). What's different here is that in most mahjong games once you've gone riichi the game puts you into auto-pilot, automatically ditching any tiles that isn't the one (or one of the ones) you need to win: here, you still have to manually discard tiles as usual, so evidently that QoL convenience hadn't become mainstream yet. The other thing I want to say about riichi is that the player's unsightly polygonal hand always whips out the riichi stick—like an ante you throw in to let folks know riichi just happened—in a super flamboyant way, like you're some kind of badass card shark. Tile shark. Whatever the mahjong version would be. It makes those occasions when you don't win after such a showboat declaration that much more clownish in retrospect.

64 Minutes In

And so, we end this playthrough in much the same manner as how we started: with basically nothing going on in this dumb hand. Who the hell needs one of each wind?
    And so, we end this playthrough in much the same manner as how we started: with basically nothing going on in this dumb hand. Who the hell needs one of each wind?

Well, things didn't go quite so well for me this time. In one round I declared riichi right after the dude on my right, who then immediately countered my riichi with a ron, which in common parlance would be a "sit your ass right back down" move. Not only did I get dinged for his moderately strong hand but winning in the round immediately after you called riichi is worth additional han (it's called ippatsu, or "one shot"). The only wins I managed to pull out in this second match were a few single-han (the ol' han solo) wiener victories so I'm glad this last segment ended before I had to face the music for my failure. They can't flunk me if I drop out of school early. That's just math. (Man, I'm saying "riichi" so much it's starting to look like a foreign word.)

So that's that. An hour of mahjong. Exciting stuff, but as I said at the head there's worse ways I could've spent this time and I'm sure the random chooser app will discover one just in time for next month's episode. I don't play enough mahjong games to know if this one was much better or worse than what was already available, but I can't say it left a particularly positive impression overall. The wind indicator never seemed to move much—more that it indicated what the table wind was, not what everyone's current round wind was, which is a mahjong jargon sentence I'm not sure even I understand—and I mentioned that missing riichi QoL feature before, which is probably one archaic design choice of many. I think it could've used a bit more visual pizazz besides its creepy CG marionette hands or at least leaned into its school gimmick a bit more by having Persona-style teen drama between rounds instead of it being just a bunch of adult learning seniors going to a highschool annex to be taught mahjong, which isn't the kind of glamorous vibe I want from a gambling-adjacent parlor game like this.

How Well Has It Aged?: As Well as This Ojiisan Sitting on My Right. I don't think there's much call for dedicated mahjong games unless they're part of a bigger whole such as in Like a Dragon or they're something designed to quickly match you with other humans like a Mahjong Soul type of mobile gacha thing. Plus, the tech has probably improved quite significantly since 1997 (which, as I'm sure you need no reminders about, was almost 30 years ago).

Chance of Switch Online Inclusion: Nah-jong. There's no universe where Koei Tecmo decides to dedicate any amount of time they could be musou-ing to reviving this for Switch Online. That said, if Nioh 3 has a mahjong mode in it where winning could grant you a bunch of colored loot or a new collectible tea kettle I wouldn't be at all shocked.

Retro Achievements Earned: N/A.

Current Ranking

1. Super Mario 64 (Ep. 1)
    2. Diddy Kong Racing (Ep. 6)
    3. Perfect Dark (Ep. 19)
    4. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (Ep. 3)
    5. Donkey Kong 64 (Ep. 13)
    6. Doom 64 (Ep. 38)
    7. Space Station Silicon Valley (Ep. 17)
    8. Goemon's Great Adventure (Ep. 9)
    9. Bomberman Hero (Ep. 26)
    10. Pokémon Snap (Ep. 11)
    11. Tetrisphere (Ep. 34)
    12. Rayman 2: The Great Escape (Ep. 19)
    13. Banjo-Tooie (Ep. 10)
    14. Rocket: Robot on Wheels (Ep. 27)
    15. Mischief Makers (Ep. 5)
    16. Super Smash Bros. (Ep. 25)
    17. Mega Man 64 (Ep. 18)
    18. Bomberman 64: The Second Attack! (Ep. 41)
    19. Forsaken 64 (Ep. 31)
    20. Wetrix (Ep. 21)
    21. Harvest Moon 64 (Ep. 15)
    22. Bust-A-Move '99 (Ep. 40)
    23. Hybrid Heaven (Ep. 12)
    24. Blast Corps (Ep. 4)
    25. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Ep. 2)
    26. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (Ep. 4)
    27. Tonic Trouble (Ep. 24)
    28. Densha de Go! 64 (Ep. 29)
    29. Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 2 (Ep. 32)
    30. Snowboard Kids (Ep. 16)
    31. Spider-Man (Ep. 8)
    32. Bomberman 64 (Ep. 8)
    33. Jet Force Gemini (Ep. 16)
    34. Mickey's Speedway USA (Ep. 37)
    35. Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers (Ep. 7)
    36. Body Harvest (Ep. 28)
    37. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (Ep. 33)
    38. Gauntlet Legends (Ep. 39)
    39. Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue! (Ep. 29)
    40. 40 Winks (Ep. 31)
    41. Buck Bumble (Ep. 30)
    42. Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage (Ep. 20)
    43. Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Vol. 1 (Ep. 39)
    44. Conker's Bad Fur Day (Ep. 22)
    45. Gex 64: Enter the Gecko (Ep. 33)
    46. BattleTanx: Global Assault (Ep. 13)
    47. Last Legion UX (Ep. 36)
    48. Hot Wheels Turbo Racing (Ep. 9)
    49. Cruis'n Exotica (Ep. 37)
    50. San Francisco Rush 2049 (Ep. 4)
    51. Iggy's Reckin' Balls (Ep. 35)
    52. Fighter Destiny 2 (Ep. 6)
    53. Charlie Blast's Territory (Ep. 36)
    54. Big Mountain 2000 (Ep. 18)
    55. Nushi Tsuri 64: Shiokaze ni Notte (Ep. 35)
    56. Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (Ep. 14)
    57. Tetris 64 (Ep. 1)
    58. Mahjong Hourouki Classic (Ep. 34)
    59. Mahjong 64 (Ep. 41)
    60. Milo's Astro Lanes (Ep. 23)
    61. International Track & Field 2000 (Ep. 28)
    62. NBA Live '99 (Ep. 3)
    63. Rampage 2: Universal Tour (Ep. 5)
    64. Command & Conquer (Ep. 17)
    65. International Superstar Soccer '98 (Ep. 23)
    66. South Park Rally (Ep. 2)
    67. Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M. (Ep. 7)
    68. Eikou no St. Andrews (Ep. 1)
    69. Rally Challenge 2000 (Ep. 10)
    70. Monster Truck Madness 64 (Ep. 11)
    71. F-1 World Grand Prix II (Ep. 3)
    72. F1 Racing Championship (Ep. 2)
    73. Sesame Street: Elmo's Number Journey (Ep. 14)
    74. Wheel of Fortune (Ep. 24)
    75. Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero (Ep. 15)
    76. Yakouchuu II: Satsujin Kouro (Ep. 40)
    77. Mario no Photopi (Ep. 20)
    78. Blues Brothers 2000 (Ep. 12)
    79. Dark Rift (Ep. 25)
    80. Mace: The Dark Age (Ep. 27)
    81. Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. (Ep. 21)
    82. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing (Ep. 32)
    83. 64 Oozumou 2 (Ep. 30)
    84. Madden Football 64 (Ep. 26)
    85. Transformers: Beast Wars Transmetals (Ep. 22)
    86. Heiwa Pachinko World 64 (Ep. 38)
    Manburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Manburger  Online

Speaking of "Persona-style teen drama" — With all the spin-offs Atlus keeps spinning up, it's a wonder they haven't made a Shin Mahjongami Tensei yet.

(Also, shame on you for tricking me into actually learning something about mahjong!)

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Whenever I see you write about Mahjong it always makes me realize just how very very little I know about Mahjong and how I should at LEAST have some basic understanding of it. I always tell myself that THIS time, I'll learn the rules. And then never follow through.

I actually wish the Bomberman games would make it NSO. I owned the first Bomberman 64 and recall that I was perpetually stuck in some ice level and could never figure out what I was doing wrong and now, as an enlightened adult, I feel like I should have little trouble with it. Instead, we got Iggy's Reckin' Balls...

Great write-up as always!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.